One of Virginia Shea's 10 Rules for Netiquette (and my own observation)

 This is my personal example of my observation of Virginia Shea's 10 rules in action. I am going to talk about examples in gaming/streaming industry. Currently I am not a gamer anymore, but several years ago I was actively playing videogames as well as watching streams. The games I was playing included League of Legends, Hearthstone, Call of Duty, CS and some more and I watched gamers streaming them.

Watching game streams led me to a conclusion, that there are basically two main behaviors of streamers - either they are polite and respectful or totally unbearable from a social perspective. It was hard to find somebody somewhere in the middle. When I found about Virginia Shea's 10 rules for netiquette, I noticed that first ones generally follow all the 10 rules, whereas second  often break all of them - they swear, ignore other players privacy and bring negative to game. But I will focus on one rule and try to explain how those who follow the netiquette and those who don't differ.

Gamer Rage [1]

Rule 10: Be forgiving of people's mistakes

When I watched streams of gamers who generally follow the netiquette, their attitude to other's mistakes was very forgiving. They tried to motivate their teammates who made a mistake, share some knowledge and overall be nice. What stroke me the most, was that they were not only less forgiving on others' mistakes, but also very critical to themselves. They often ask themselves - what could I have done to help their teammates, if they see them mistaking. This brought a very positive atmosphere in game. On the other hand those who abuse 10 rules never forgive teammates mistakes - they will point them out and try to make people who make mistakes miserable. Moreover, they rarely admit their own mistakes - blaming everything on their teammates. Sometimes this makes such streams hard to watch.

Interestingly enough, the audience of those who neglect 10 rules is often bigger, then of those who are always nice. This is probably a separate topic, but interestingly enough, some watcher prefer streamers who act like bullies and are being not very polite and breaking netiquette. However even if watching them might be somehow fun, playing with them as teammates certainly isn't...

1. https://www.ventureacademy.ca/troubled-teen-blog/what-causes-gamer-rage/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Analysis of Uber code of conduct

Wikipage article review - Low-code and no-code programming

Supporting solution which I discovered for myself lately